Every step we take
PROTECTING OUR LEGACY. FOR GENERATIONS.
CrossIron Mills is also committed to mitigating our impact on the environment. Prior to opening, the following development decisions and investments were made to lessen our footprint:
In the spring of 2008, 6 to 10 million gallons of rainwater per week were pumped off the site into temporary holding areas before being released back into Nose Creek after construction was complete.
A 120-foot steel girder built in 1963 for the Glenmore bridge was recycled in the construction of the Highway 566 bridge widening over Nose Creek.
41 acres of storm water management ponds have been constructed to manage storm water quality and quantity.
No potable water will be used to irrigate the exterior landscaping at CrossIron Mills:
- Three cisterns have been constructed underneath the parking lot to store one million litres of the harvested rainwater.
- Over 620,000 square feet of landscaped area has been irrigated by our 3 storm management cisterns that harvest up to 1 million liters of rainwater at a time.
- CrossIron Mills has a white membrane roof which reflects heat and reduces interior cooling requirements.
- Over 40% of CrossIron Mills’ waste is diverted from the landfill by way of recycling cans, cardboard, and plastics throughout the mall.
- CrossIron Mills has diverted 23 tonnes of organic materials from going to the landfill through its Organics Recycling program.
- We use Bullfrog Power for 20% of our electricity usage, reducing the environmental impact and helping to create a cleaner world for our community and future generations.
Our commitment to community and to the environment is ongoing, and organic. We are always investigating several community based programs and initiatives that will reflect our core values and beliefs – and those of the community we call home.